The Imperial Gas Company purchased the Sandford Manor Estate in Fulham in 1824 for use as a gas holder station. The first gas holder was erected a little south of Sandford Manor in 1824, a second one following soon after and two more being added in 1827. A listed gas holder dating from 1830 still stands on the site . It is the oldest know gas holder in the world.
From 1908 until 1917 a low gravity gas was made and stored separately on the site for transmission to the Hurlingham Club where it was used for ballooning !
For more history and intriguing facts about the gas holder site you will need to become a Fulham society member and receive our newsletter .
An application will shortly be submitted by National Grid, the owners of the site of this large 17 acre site to dismantle the gas holders. Alongside the application they have asked to submit a master plan for the site that will establish the framework for the future development of the site . for more detail go to www.imperialroadgasholders.com
Fulham Society broadly welcomes the redevelopment of the site but would like to see gasholder 7 also retained (dated 1877) , the employment zone safeguarded and affordable homes for local people provided as part of the scheme