St William the developers of the Gasworks submitted a hybrid planning application in July 2016 after holding public exhibitions during summer 2016
The previous public exhibition was held at Imperial Wharf during April . Fulham Society committee members were invited to go through the proposals in detail with the Architects on the 13th April .
The scheme taking shape accommodates predictably some tall buildings , the tallest of which at 27 storeys would sit within a water filled moat.
The listed gas holder would sit in the middle of an acre of green space described as a park with other communal space accommodating a possible market area, small cafe and shops
The scheme includes commercial space, workshops and retail space and would provide around 1400 homes with 600 parking spaces. The affordable element has to be negotiated yet .
Fulham Society commented on the planning application . The scheme has some laudable elements , allowing for permeability with the surrounding streets but over all would be hugely over developed with any open spaces being in shadow of some very tall buildings . There are no proposals included in the scheme to increase public transport to the area .
The planning application for the ‘decommissioning’, in other words, demolition, of the five disused gasholders on the Imperial Road site was filed in November with the Council by National Grid and consent has been granted. Decommissioning of the site will take until late 2018
Fulham Society , with public support has looked to retain the large gasholder – No 7 dating from 1877-1879 beside Imperial Road – whose framework is still very visible from the road. Whilst it doesn’t look feasible to retain it in the existing position in tact assurances have been given by the designers that they still look to incorporate parts of the structure within the scheme somehow. demolition of this particular gasholder will not be permitted until a full planning consent has been given for the whole site. Not a very satisfactory position, but better than immediate demolition.
More information on the site’s history can be found in the Society’s previous update here.